My family has been cooking variations of chilli since Dinosaur Times, but at 6 months I felt that the loose chilli mix and rice might be a bit tricky to pick up. I combined the chilli and sweet potato together to make flavourful nuggets that could be picked up, with no extra cooking required. Yum! To save time, you could slow cook the chilli during nap time, or cook and freeze in advance.
Ingredients (serves three adults and a baby)
1 clove garlic
300g minced beef
1 tin salt/sugar free kidney beans
1/2 bunch fresh coriander
1 tsp Cumin
2 tsps Oregano
Half a lime
2 large sweet potatoes
1) Preheat oven to 180. Finely dice the garlic, onions and peppers. Peel and cut the sweet potato into wedges.
2) Lightly fry the onions and garlic until soft then add the mince and the peppers.
3) Add the cumin, paprika and dried oregano and brown the mince.
4) Put the wedges on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Put in the oven for 25 minutes (these will be mashed into the chilli mixture for the baby and served as wedges for the adults).
5) Meanwhile, add the tomato purée, kidney beans and 100ml of water to the chilli and simmer for 20 minutes.
6) Add the fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice and remove the sweet potato from the oven. Leave to cool until you can touch them.
7) Spoon about four tablespoons of chilli into a bowl and add about four sweet potato wedges. Mash the wedges into the chilli and mix until thick and sticky.
8) Roll the mixture into ball shapes and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
9) Once cool enough to eat, serve with cheat guacamole (mashed avocado, a squidge of lime and some sour cream or natural yoghurt). Serve the adults chilli with the guacamole and wedges on the side.
Find more Baby Led Kitchen recipes on the Website, Facebook or follow on Instagram