I have been lucky enough to have taken children on class trips to Pensthorpe Natural Park before, so when Mumbler was invited to visit the park and see the new Wetland area, I knew we were in for a treat. The last time I visited was on a Year 2 class trip and I was 8 weeks pregnant with the Teeny One (and SO sick!) but this was the first time I’ve been able to take my own two children!
The park, which has just celebrated its 30th birthday, comprises 700 acres of trails and gardens and includes pretty awesome outdoor and indoor play areas. They’ve just opened their new Wetland area to help educate people about how important wetland habitats are and how to protect them, but with two under 4 year olds in tow, we didn’t have time to read many of the information boards…mainly because Mini Mumbler was super excited to see the flamingos (or ‘mingos’ as she calls them!).
The excitement of seeing the flamingos was short-lived, as is anything when you have kids, so after watching them for a few minutes we decided to go and let the Mini ones run off some steam in the play areas. (We didn’t get to do any pond dipping while we were there, but there is a large pond dipping facility, which I think is a great additional activity to have a go at if you get the chance). I would say the outdoor area is mainly suitable for 5+ years (I think they recommend 6 years old for the big slides, but I just went with Mini Mumbler – be prepared for a bit of a climb!) although the Teeny One still enjoyed doing bits like digging around in the sand pit, trying to stomp in the stream, and going on the zip wire with Mummy.
Hootz House is the indoor play area and during busy times it is advisable to book a time slot. Both kids LOVED the indoor play! There is an under 5’s area with a rather nifty ball sucker-uppy-shooty thing, which deposits all the balls the kids have sent up the shoot back down onto their heads. The girls did this repeatedly for half an hour. Mini Mumbler is just about big enough to climb up all the bits and pieces around the rest of the play area, but only accompanied by an adult. You have to wear socks inside and everything is made of wood so we found it a bit slippery, be careful! (or you could take some of those trampoline socks with sticky bottoms, just to be on the safe side?).
Pensthorpe really is a fantastic, nature-filled family day out. All the flowerbeds are just beautiful and there is lots of wildlife to see (the Teeny One was so excited to stand next to a baby coot and thought the scampering squirrels were hilarious!). You can also really tire out your Mini Mumblers by doing the trails and playing in the outdoor and indoor play areas…we had a quiet car on the way home, bonus. I was also really impressed that Hoots House had baby changing facilities in the Female, Male and Disabled toilets – well done, Pensthorpe!
There is a Cafe, gift shop and Visitors Centre on site.
Visit the Website for more details.
If you’d like to win one FAMILY DAY PASS (up to 6 people) to take your family to visit Pensthorpe Natural Park, all you have to do is answer the following question:
Which big birthday has Pensthorpe just celebrated?
Send your answer using the contact form HERE. Competition closes at 8pm on Thursday 9th August.
Don’t forget to join the Norwich Mumbler Chat group for advice, support and recommendations from local parents.
Competition Terms & Conditions
- This competition is open to any person resident in the UK who is over 18 years old. Employees of Pensthorpe Natural Park, or its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotion agencies are not eligible. Employees of Norwich Mumbler are not eligible. By entering, the participant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- There is one family pass (up to 6 people) available to win.
- The passes are valid until the end of 2018.
- The winner will be selected at random from all entries received.
- The closing date is 8pm Thursday 9th August 2018.
- The winner will be notified by email or telephone by Friday 10th August 2018.
- The prize is not transferable and no cash alternative is available.
- The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw this offer or amend these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the Terms and Conditions, the conduct, results and any other matters relating to this prize draw, the decision of the Promoter shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- We take your privacy very seriously, and will NOT share any of your details with any other party. Your details will only be used to contact you if you win.