Bonfire Night Safety from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service encourage everyone to have a happy Bonfire Night, stay safe, have fun but attend an organised fireworks display so you remember, remember for all the right reasons.
Sparklers can get up to six times hotter than oil in your frying pan and you wouldn’t hand that to your children. Sparklers are a magical part of Bonfire Night but we don’t consider them as dangerous as fireworks. Enjoy them safely with these common sense precautions
Always supervise children using sparklers
Sparklers should notbe offered to the under 5’s
Always wear gloves
Show children how to hold sparklers at arm’s length, away from their body and anyone else.
Try to light one sparkler at a time
Watch out for loose clothing which is more likely to catch fire
Remember sparklers stay hot after use, place in a bucket of sand or water when spent
Consider using a sparkler alternative such as glow sticks which are non-toxic and last up to 8 hours
STAY SAFELY DRESSED
Our children enjoy wearing their Halloween costumes, often whilst enjoying bonfires & fireworks. But remember the outfit they have on could easily catch fire from naked flames they may be near such as candles, fires, lighters and matches.
This is especially important with fancy dress costumes as many are currently not manufactured to the same safety standards as normal clothing. This can cause them to ignite almost instantly and burn far faster.
Please make sure children wearing Halloween costumes are kept well away from naked flames and other sources of heat at all times.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service aim to reduce deliberately started fires, such as rubbish & bonfires, the greatest risks being uncontrolled fire spread and arson. The majority of accidents & incidents happen in homes & gardens across our County please help us to keep you safe. Remember one person’s bonfire can be another person’s 999 call….if you do decide to organise Bonfire Night at home, stop & think…use our guide below
Bonfire Safety Tips
If you have a bonfire, follow these simple guidelines:
Bonfires can only be held on private land with the owner’s permission
Warn your neighbours beforehand – so they are aware and can make necessary preparations
Only burn dry material, do not burn anything which is wet or damp, this causes more smoke
Check there are no cables (telephone wires etc.) above the bonfire
Build the bonfire well away from buildings, sheds, fences and trees
Do not use petrol or paraffin to start the fire it can get out of control quickly
Once the bonfire is lit, make sure you:
Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby – in case of emergencies
Do not leave the bonfire unattended
Keep children and pets away from the bonfire
Do not throw any fireworks into the fire
Do not burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint – this could produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury
Once the bonfire has died down, spray the embers with water to stop it reigniting and ensure it is completely extinguished
If you are buying & using fireworks, don’t forget you are handling explosives! Many of which can travel up to 150mph…so please think about the following:
Only buy fireworks marked CE & BS 7114.
Only buy from a reputable retailer.
Make sure that any selection boxes are sealed when you buy them
Check all fireworks are not damaged or damp.
Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
Keep fireworks in a closed box.
Follow the instructions on each firework carefully.
Light them at arm’s length using a suitable taper.
Stand well back.
Never go back to a lit firework; it may go off in your face.
Never put fireworks in your pocket.
Never throw fireworks.
Always supervise children around fireworks.
Keep pets indoors.
Kristie Burdett Community Safety Team Manager Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service